Wednesday, November 19, 2008

current music

About a week ago I finally started composing again. It was the first bit of original music I'd written since May (my solo vibraphone piece), unless you count the "Gooby Suite," which I did in August. Right now I'm working on a piece for bass clarinet and piano, which Julia Stroud will perform at her recital. I actually started working on it last December, and even managed to finish a movement (the middle movement, interestingly enough), but had to drop it for various reasons. Now I'm picking it up again.

Most of my compositions are single-movement works. The ones that aren't -- the violin concerto, string quartet, an early violin sonata -- have typically been quite serious, and ambitious in scope. I think this one fits the bill. "Fountain of Dreams" this ain't.

The Violin Concerto was film music on concert steroids; the String Quartet was my avant-garde lullaby. This piece, tentatively titled "Rebirth," brings in a new influence: Dream Theater. Yep, I'm throwing progressive rock & metal into a soup that's already saturated with film music, hardcore modernism, and Bach.

It should be a fun ride...

No comments: